Canon EOS 7D firmware update.
The latest firmware update for the Canon EOS 7D
will be released at the end of this month, according to brief press release leak on the Canon Professional Network site. is now available for download here.
Canon addresses a number of issues for professional filmmakers and photographers, including a highly anticipated manual audio controls for video. This is extremely exciting, considering that we have filmed all of our episodes of “Conversations with Friends” with the Canon EOS 7D and have been waiting for quite awhile for these new features.
MANUAL ADJUSTMENT FOR AUDIO RECORDING LEVELS
During EOS Movie shooting users are now able to manually adjust the audio recording to one of 64 levels, whilst the sound volume during playback can be set to one of 11 levels. During movie recording noise from the aperture is reduced, and the camera also has an automatic wind cut filter.
Users can also add the camera’s Full HD (1920x1080p) movie footage with 16-bit digital stereo sound, sampled at broadcast quality 48KHz.
In addition, Canon has included a big update to the EOS 7d firmware with GPS Support:
- Mounted Receiver – can be attached to the camera’s accessory shoe or clipped to a belt and tethered via a USB cable.
- Records shooting locations – latitude, longitude and altitude for easy geo-taging and camera direction (fantastic feature for my travels around the world) as an EXIF file of the image.
- Syncing Camera’s Internal Clock – can now synced through the GPS unit using UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) for accurate time recording or syncing clocks on multiple cameras.
- GPS Logging and Google Maps Compatibility with Canon’s free Map Utility software can display the photographer’s route on a map.
Some of the other updated features include:
- Improved RAW Maximum burst – Max Burst Rate now from 15 frames to 25 frames.
- In-Camera RAW Conversion – RAW images can be processed and edited in-camera with dynamic adjustments such as exposure, white balance, picture style, noise reduction and distortion correction. Options can be changed before saving the finished file as a ready-to-print JPEG. Check this article on the benefits of shooting JPGs, even for professionals.
- Image Rating Capabilities
- New Auto ISO Maximum Setting – ISO 100-6400
- JPEG Resizing
- Quick Control During Playback
- File Name Setting – First 3 or 4 characters in the file name can be adjusted, depending on the setting
- Time Zone Setting
- Quick control screen during playback
- Faster Scrolling of Magnified Images
You may download the newest firmware updates in early August at no charge from Canon’s Website here.
Does this update fix all the issues you have been experiencing with your 7D, or did Canon left a major one out? Share your thoughts and comments below.